The difficult second marathon

What do you do when your first attempt at a marathon was so delicious in every way that the second time around is never going to live up to the pain, the dedication, the journey and the joy?

Despite a much sought after ballot place for London being in my possession, I just cannot find the passion to train for this thing in a way that’s going to mean I’ve done the best I could have done.

Scared I’m on the verge of wasting a precious opportunity, I have only five weeks to try and salvage my training. A whole month of lost mileage, angry knees and sore glutes has passed and I am left with a seriously damaged belief that this is even possible.

26.2 miles is a terrifyingly long distance at this point in time, but it is LONDON. There is no way that this isn’t happening.

10 Comments

1. March 22, 2015 / 7:03 am

Last year my training leading up to race day was awful. Although I’d completed the majority of my long runs they weren’t continuous at all and I’m not sure I ever ran more than six miles at a time without a walk break. I was so sure I’d let myself down with my training but I was determined to make the most of my first London experience and the crowds helped to see me round a new PB on the day.
    Your body has done this before. Let it remember what to do.

2. March 22, 2015 / 12:14 pm

It’s London, and you love London. Forget about everything else, all the unnecessary target and focus on the opportunity to run in London with your friends, in places usually crowded with traffic.

3. March 24, 2015 / 12:20 pm

Keep going! I really struggled returning to training after holiday….and you’ve been away quite a bit right?

Put your fave playlist on. Wear your favourite kit. Put some kick ass maske up on and go out and rock it. x

4. March 26, 2015 / 2:37 pm

I’m having the exact same issue, I signed up to a second marathon because I loved the first one so much and had a big hole in my life once i’d finished my first. However, I’m due to run Brighton in 2 weeks and so nervous – i’m nowhere near as prepared for it as i was my first and have missed numerous long runs – I’m still considering deferring my place.
    I’m trying to tell myself that since my first marathon i haven’t stopped running so am therefore only a more experienced runner…? It’s just technique and fuelling and stuff i’m worried about as i just haven’t tested it. I think with the first it’s easier to keep motivation up as it’s such a huge challenge and you get that ‘this-is-the-furthest-i’ve-ever-run’ glow after each long run and you don’t quite get the same feeling of self-pride training for the second marathon.
    I’ll let you know how my brighton one goes in a couple of weeks – second marathon is definitely tougher than the first in my opinion.
    Good luck, you DO have time to salvage training – just don’t try and over compensate, remember you’re only a more experienced runner than you were for the first time. x

• March 28, 2015 / 7:30 am

Thank you so much, means so much to know that I’m not the only one feeling this way!
      Good luck in Brighton! I’m running a half tomorrow – using it as a test to see how I feel running quite unprepared & a little in pain!

5. March 27, 2015 / 4:36 pm

I was facing this and came to the decision to pull out so that I can focus on London properly next yr with all the enthusiasm I approached my first marathon with last yr. You will be great and London marathon will be awesome! Enjoy the ride xx

• March 28, 2015 / 7:30 am