These feet

IMG_0079.JPGThese feet have not run happy for some time.

These feet just want to hide themselves away and not face their fears.

These feet used to feel like running belonged to them. Now they feel like it is a complete unknown.

These feet feel pressurised by those around them. By those going faster, by those going longer.

These feet feel the weight of the achievements of others. Secret challenges and not so secret challenges, these feet feel like they aren’t doing enough.

These feet just keep on plodding. That’s all they’ve done for four years.

These feet had looked forward to marathon training all summer long, now they approach it with fear and trepidation.

These feet have had a tough few weeks. Unfinished parkruns, avoided outings. They’ve been too scared to run long, too nervous to join friends.

These feet need to remember what they are good at.

These feet need to know that what they can do is enough.

These feet want to learn to love running again.

These feet know that anything is possible.

20 Comments

1. hatbeard
    18th November 2014 / 11:52 PM

those feet are going to smash your next marathon.

2. 100blinksgone
    18th November 2014 / 11:54 PM

I hear you 🙂 get that bike and let’s mix it up a bit. And go for a few silly run with cake and no garmins. And we’ll hit the trails with bikes and backpacks and run how we feel x

3. 19th November 2014 / 12:51 AM

Love this post. Expressed in a very creative way what most runners encounter sometime along the way.

Don’t lose heart. Running for the love of running will return! 🙂

• 24th November 2014 / 9:18 AM

Thanks! Hopefully soon 🙂

4. 19th November 2014 / 8:32 AM

So real so true! I feel sometimes that way. I think I need to re-discover my passion for run and the motivation to keep going! Like you said “these feet want to learn to love running again!” I love this part!!

• 24th November 2014 / 9:18 AM

Exactly! I do love it really, I just need to find it!

5. 19th November 2014 / 1:22 PM

Great post 🙂 It’s hard not to let the pressure of racing and comparing get you down sometimes! Enjoy the freedom running gives us x

• 24th November 2014 / 9:18 AM

Great way of putting it, thank you 🙂

6. 19th November 2014 / 2:34 PM

Those feet ARE doing enough!

I had a super slow run today. In fact I have been running slow for weeks because I’m continuously sore from Crossfit. I started moping today that what’s the point of running if I go so slow but then remembered why I run. I run just because I can. I can run fast or I can run slow but the main thing is that I can. So many people are not so lucky.

• 24th November 2014 / 9:17 AM

This is all so true! If it’s not making me happy it’s kind of missing the point! And if running slow makes me happy then that’s all good 🙂

7. 19th November 2014 / 11:30 PM

Those feet are awesome- they carried you through a marathon, and will do so again 🙂 It’s hard to not get wrapped up in everything, but I would try going out and just running to enjoy it.

• 24th November 2014 / 9:15 AM

Thanks! I am going to go out on my own, with no expectations and just enjoy myself!

8. 21st November 2014 / 2:52 PM

I feel exactly the same! I ran my first ever half at the end of September. Then I went on holiday. Then I got sick. Since then I’ve started running again, but even a 10k now seems SO HARD, so much so I have to regularly stop and take walking breaks.

I’m starting marathon training on Monday for my first ever marathon in April. I’m doing it for breast cancer care in support of my mum and I feel immense pressure and worry, as I don’t see how I am ever going to be able to achieve this! Being in RunDem is awesome, but at the same time, seeing all these amazing runners makes me feel so useless…I feel like I keep trying and trying, but seem to be getting worse. I guess I’ll just keep heading out regularly, doing my best, and cross my fingers that it works!

Jennie x

• 24th November 2014 / 9:14 AM

Exactly!
      Our best is all we can do. You’ll definitely smash the marathon, honestly if I can run one anyone can!
      Try not to let the pressure get on top of you – I keep reminding myself why I’m doing this – because I love running. Sometimes I don’t, but most of the time I do!

9. 23rd November 2014 / 9:34 AM

Those feet have done some amazing things this year and will continue to keep being amazing. My feet have stopped running since my last marathon in October and are now scared to run, but they are currently enjoying yoga while they find their running mojo.. Just take it steady and do what feels right for you..

• 24th November 2014 / 9:10 AM

Thank you! Definitely think you’re spot on with your final sentence, going to do some solo runs and find my own groove again.