Sheringham parkrun

This weekend I’ve been at my parents’ place in North Norfolk.

In the week, I emailed my mum and suggested that I’d quite like to go to a parkrun on Saturday morning. Their location lends itself to three different parkrun options – Norwich, King’s Lynn or Sheringham – none of which I have previously visited.

I have to say, I am very happy with my mum’s suggestion of Sheringham, it was probably my favourite parkrun to date.

Sheringham Park is about a 20-25 minute drive away from where my parents live, so at around 08:20 on Saturday morning, me and my Dad along with greyhound Freddie and whippet cross Honey jumped in the car and headed on over. We timed it perfectly, arriving to news of free parking for parkrunners (woohoo!) and just in time for the 08:50 briefing.

It was the second anniversary of Sheringham parkrun this weekend, so the briefing included a lot of thanks and praise for all the run directors, volunteers and regular runners. It kicked off the celebratory atmosphere nicely.

Being the 1st November, there was also a lot of impressive Halloween fancy dress on show, and I did feel a little bit bad for not making more of an effort – or at least donning some devil horns.

The route itself could not have been more different from the parkrun I went to the week before at Burgess. On the website it is described as “undulating… with a sting in it’s tail” and I would definitely have to agree with that. It was (what I would call) hilly, and also trailly… possibly a bit too much for my liking, but nice for a change. The one thing I loved though was that it was ONE LAP! From what I can tell, one lap parkruns (particularly in my part of London) are pretty rare, so having just one lap to do of a completely unknown course was an absolute joy.

Whilst I ran, my dad and the dogs went for an explore of the park and at the end, we headed to the café for a coffee and cheese scone, and stayed around for the trophy presentations (top 3 males, top 3 females, top junior and top volunteer of the previous year) and to enjoy some of the Halloween treats provided by some of the runners.

We experienced a really lovely, friendly, inclusive family atmosphere – exactly what parkrun is all about. I’m really hoping that this introduction to parkrun might see my dad return in the future to tackle the course himself.

12 Comments

1. 3rd November 2014 / 9:31 AM

My parents live not far from Sheringham too! They live just outside of Holt so I’ve been to the Sheringham parkrun a couple of times now and really enjoyed it. I’m more of a trail runner anyway, and not a massive fan of laps so Sheringham parkrun suits me perfectly! That hill at the end is a killer though!

• 3rd November 2014 / 8:07 PM

Oh my goodness, that hill! I was doing okay time wise until that popped up!

2. 3rd November 2014 / 11:32 AM

I need to do more parkruns!

• 3rd November 2014 / 8:09 PM

When are you next in town? They are pretty much part of my regular training now, so we’ll definitely have to do another together.

• 3rd November 2014 / 8:10 PM

22/11 ive never done burgess park and you girls seem to like it! Happy to travel somewhere else though

3. 3rd November 2014 / 11:45 AM

Don’t recall ever hearing anything like a park run in Canada. It is either the 5k, 10k, half marathon and marathons typically run in cities and the trail runs.
    I like this, something that is almost “in between”. 🙂
    Thanks for sharing!

4. 3rd November 2014 / 5:05 PM

I really need to get on Parkrun! There’s one super close to my flat in London but I just need to find some motivation to get out of bed on a Saturday morning (early runs never were my strong point)!

Sarah x

• 3rd November 2014 / 8:06 PM

Which is your local?

I do find the 9am start really tough, but so nice to be done and with a coffee before 10am! Such a lovely start to the weekend 🙂

5. 3rd November 2014 / 9:37 PM

One lap parkrun- that is the dream! I like Cardiff as it’s almost a loop, just one section towards the end is out and back. I just hate laps, the Highbury 5 laps is soul destroying ha!

• 3rd November 2014 / 9:38 PM

Isn’t it just! I told one of the Sheringham regulars about Highbury Fields and he couldn’t believe it even existed!

6. Charlie Neale
    5th November 2014 / 5:34 PM

Love Sheringham Parkrun! There’s a nice one at Blickling too, depending on how far it is from where your parents are.
    (That’s me in the bad mummy costume behind the trophies, and my son!)

• 12th November 2014 / 9:21 AM

It was a great mummy costume!
      Ooh I might have to try Blickling too, definitely doable 🙂