#ChuckIt – attempting minimalism

IMG_1058.JPGRecently I started reading The Minimalists blog, and quickly their ideas and values really interested me. At the heart of their principles for life, is that everything you own should either serve a purpose or bring you joy. I think these two simple rules are exactly what you should apply to your possessions – it’s such an easy way to ensure you aren’t surrounded by unnecessary clutter.

I’ve never been a hoarder and enjoy a cathartic clear out fairly often, but almost eight months after moving into my current home, I feel it is time for another. So, from today, myself and a few other of my social media-y friends (Laura, Charlie, Charlie & Harry) are taking part in The Minimalists’ Game, a month long challenge in which you remove unnecessary items from your home – one on the first day, two on the second, three on the third etc… for thirty days. The person who can keep it up the longest wins.

This all sounded fantastic until I realised this means removing 465 items from your home over the month. I had a VERY large clear out of my possessions at the beginning of this year, but I’m sure applying the purpose/joy principles will enable me to discover some more things I just don’t need.

So, if you need a clear out, join us! We’ll be using #ChuckIt (along with the official #MinsGame) – and let me know how you get on.

(Although we will be using the #ChuckIt hashtag, please remove your possessions responsibly – recycle where possible, follow guidance for electrical disposal, give to charity etc…)

8 Comments

1. 8th September 2014 / 7:42 AM

This is partly what I am trying to do with my Bristolian move. I find it quite tough though!

• 8th September 2014 / 8:42 AM

I’ll help you! I’m quite good at being brutal.

• 8th September 2014 / 8:45 AM

I know that I have unopened boxes so clearly things I don’t need but once I open it I don’t want to get rid of it lol. I cannot take part the whole month as I’ll be gone at the end of the week but I will chuck as much as possible this week. I have TONS of magazines so this should increase my number of items easily!!!

2. 8th September 2014 / 9:09 AM

I love this idea. I’ll start a cleaning session with the best of intentions to de-clutter. Then just before I recycle it/put it in the charity bag I think. “Oh but maybe I’ll use/wear this again. I’ll just hang on to it for a little while longer.” Of course all of those items still remain untouched…..

3. 8th September 2014 / 10:07 PM

This is so wonderful! I have just started on my mission to minimise. Great to see more people doing the same 🙂

4. 17th September 2014 / 1:35 PM

I’m going to chuck out all the freaking old baby toys that the kids don’t play with. The kids won’t like it but these things are driving me mad and taking up so much valuable space!