The year I’d never have chosen

I was reading Charlotte Street by Danny Wallace a couple of weeks ago, and close to the end of the book, I came across this passage:
IMG_0420.JPGAnd boy, did it resonate.

Last weekend, it was my birthday. My twenty seventh year has probably been the biggest period of change I’ve experienced since I left home at 18, and certainly the biggest amount of change I have had such little control over.

Right now, I have purple hair, two relatively new piercings, a fair amount of credit debt and three housemates I met via the internet (although they are very lovely). I have friends who are married, friends who are engaged, friends who have children, friends who own their houses. There’s a gap here that’s only widening.

I would never have chosen to be in this position. Twelve months ago I thought I was moving away from impulsively dying my hair, spending recklessly and living with more than one other person. I thought I was becoming more of a grown up.

But then, I would never have guessed the trips I’ve taken, the job I now have, the odd but awesome little corner of East London I now live in.

I would have laughed at the prospect of running a marathon and getting my LiRF. Even the idea of cycling to work would have seemed crazy, something I would be too scared to do.

And I certainly wouldn’t have spent my birthday in the company of so many lovely, generous, brilliant friends (most of whom I’ve met through our shared love of running), without having the year I’d never have chosen.

IMG_0628.JPG

11 Comments

1. 13th August 2014 / 6:46 AM

I’m 34 – I had all of those other things you describe and gave them up in favour of happiness. Everyone is in such a massive rush in their 20s to settle down and be dull, but that’s the time when we should be having fun. You are the enlightened one believe me. A lot of my ‘married by 27’ friends (weirdly I actually call them that) are now divorcing. Life isn’t a race – be who you want to be! X

• 13th August 2014 / 7:43 AM

Thanks! I’m definitely beginning to realise there is not one thing or path that everyone is ‘supposed’ to follow. My way is pretty fun at the moment x

2. 13th August 2014 / 8:34 AM

Oh what piercings did you get? Happy Birthday again x

• 13th August 2014 / 10:27 AM

Haha just a second piercing in each ear lobe – probably only counts as one! 🙂

3. 13th August 2014 / 9:03 AM

Two piercings?! I only saw one. I probably come in the ‘boring’ group but I endeavour to be more like you! Love ya x

• 13th August 2014 / 10:30 AM

I’m counting each ear as a piercing! Not at all my love, not at all. Just different! That’s what’s great x

4. 13th August 2014 / 9:50 AM

Love this post Lissy! I’m slowly finding my way and trying to be less scared… I’m glad that “the year you’d never have chosen” has turned out to be so awesome, and I’m really glad I met you 🙂 X

• 13th August 2014 / 10:31 AM

Likewise! The unknown is so scary, huh?! x

5. charliezbrown
    13th August 2014 / 11:24 AM

God I bloody love you! I love your impulsive spending (particularly when it’s on dinners, cake, drinks, holidays and clothes in Monki that we just don’t need), I love your ever changing hair and I love your ballsyness at just getting a piercing on the spot! GO YOU! YOU lady are winning at life!

6. 13th August 2014 / 9:49 PM

Hope you had a great birthday! Sad I had to miss the party! Growing up is boring, absolutely savour the moment and have as much fun as possible 🙂